Structure of education and governance on the university

Understanding how the education and management of the university works is not easy. The structure is fairly complex. However, it is possible for many students to contribute to educational and political issues. These are often nice student jobs, so you can do something fun and even get paid. The problem is that many people don't know where to start and what the options are. This page explains how it all works.



The Program Committee (OC-ST)

The OC-ST is the study program committee of the Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. From Japie the coordinator of educational affairs from the board always takes place in the OC-ST. In addition, there are five other students and six teachers. So as many students as teachers! The OC-ST meets once a month on all kinds of matters concerning education. For example, new courses or changes to courses are approved here. The OER (Education and Examination Regulations) is also established in the OC-ST. The OER contains all rules and agreements with regard to education and (the taking of) exams.

The Joint Program Committee (JPC)

The JPC is a kind of umbrella training committee for all courses at TU/e. The JPC is split into the Bachelor's room (JPC-B) and Master's room (JPC-M). Both the JPC-B and the JPC-M have one student and teacher representative from each individual program committee. There are only Bachelor's students in the JPC-B and only Master's students in the JPC-M. This means that there are around 20 to 25 members in each separate room. TU/e broad issues concerning education are discussed in the JPC. This includes matters such as the part of the OER that is common to all programs, a new set-up for, for example, the basic subjects or the educational vision of the TU/e in the future. The JPC-B meets every month and the JPC-M meets less frequently.

Lecture follow-up group (CoVo)

A CoVo is a group of students, appointed by the coordinator of educational affairs of Japie in consultation with a teacher, who gives feedback on current courses to the teacher from the first week. This is usually the case with new courses or courses that require some extra attention. In this way feedback can be given on courses from the start of the quartile, so that any improvements can be made during the current quartile and that the feedback does not come only after the cohort consultations.


The Faculty Board (FB-ST)

The departmental board consist of a dean, the managing director and the vice-dean. At the moment these are Emiel Hensen, Laurent Nelissen and Kitty Nijmeijer. The departmental board does the general management of the department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, both for research and education. The adjunct director and educational director give advice to the board, and there is also a student advisor.

The Faculty Council (FR-ST)

The departmental council is a participation council for students and staff. They have meetings together and furthermore they meet with the departmental council once a month. For some important decisions, the council has the right of consent, this means that they should agree before the decision can go through. If you are interested in joining the council, you can put yourself up for elections. For this, you should contact the vice-president of the council.

University Council (UR)

The university council is a participation council for students and staff of all departments. They talk about university broad cases, such as housing, the Bachelor College, nummerus fixus and many more subjects. The students in the university council are organized in different fractions, which are similar to political parties. The members of the university council each have their own portfolio of subjects.

The Executive Board (CvB)

The executive board of the university is responsible for all university matters, in research as well as in education and in practical matters. The executive board consists of the president, the rector magnificus and the vice president. The executive board also has a secretary of the university.